LP - Limited Edition Clear with Black Smoke Coloured Black Vinyl
Led by drummer Jose Medeles (Breeders, 1939 Ensemble, Revival Drum Shop), Railroad Cadences and Melancholic Anthems is a drummer's tribute to guitarist and DIY iconoclast John Fahey.
Joined for a series of guitar and drum duets with M. Ward, experimental guitarist Marisa Anderson, and Chris Funk (Decemberists, Stephen Malkmus), it's a genuinely honourific project, featuring not Fahey compositions, but rather a series of improvised rendezvous inspired and informed by his looseness and rhythmic idiosyncrasies. Recording in the comfortable setting of Bocce Recording in Vancouver, WA, in 2020, these duets are playful and spiritually deep, presented with snapshot clarity Medeles likens to the recordings of Alan Lomax or Chris Strachwitz, 'who boldly captured field recording of Southern chain gangs and juke joint raconteurs decades ago. The result here is similar: pure and honest recordings.'
1. Please Send To J.F. with Marisa Anderson
2. Richness Of Peace with M. Ward
3. Golden with Chris Funk
4. The Paper Snake with Marisa Anderson
5. Something Else with M. Ward
6. Before & After with Marisa Anderson
7. Juxtaposition with Chris Funk
8. Mid The Ice & Snow with Marisa Anderson
9. Illumination with Chris Funk
10. Takoma with Marisa Anderson
11. Voice Of The Turtle with Chris Funk